1 small (12 inch) French baguette
2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 c. soft goat cheese, brought to room temp
1/2 t. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
2 large plum tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
3/4 c. pitted & coarsely chopped kalamata olives
3 fresh basil leaves
Vegetable oil, for the grill
1. Use a serrated knife to cut the baguette crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Cut each quarterin half lengthwise to form 8 pieces total.
2. Combine olive oil and garlic in small mixing bowl. Brush the cut sides of the bread with half of the oil mixture.
3. Preheat grill to medium. Oil liberally to prevent sticking. (Or can use a grill pan.)
4. Grill the bread, cut side down, until lightly toasted (about 1 minute).In a small mixing bowl combine the goat cheese, thyme and oregao. Remove the bread from the grill and quickly spread the toasted sides with the cheese mixture. Arrange the tomatoes and olives over the cheese. 5.Drizzle remaining olive oil mixture on top.
6. Return sandwiches to grill, cheese side up. Cook until the botoom sides are toasted, the cheese begins to melt and the tomatoes begin to soften (about 3 minutes).
7. Garnish each sandwich with a basil leaf and serve immediately.